Thursday, September 18, 2008

Helping Young PR Pros

As a professor, part of my job is to advise students, which covers class schedules to questions about graduate school and careers. Our Grand Valley State University Career Services office and our chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) also has events in which they invite professors and area professionals to advise them about entering the work force.

One thing I've noticed in the past few years is the rapid increase in the number of students looking for work outside of West Michigan and outside the state--and in some cases out of the country. This is partly due to the current student body being more willing to "leave the farm" and see the world as "their oyster." (Odd that these two metaphors remind me of a time I was at an oyster farm in the Philippines--I've got pictures!) It's also a reflection of the fact that the state economy is tanking.

In any event, it gets hard to advise students based on specific experience in places far and wide. In the past week alone I have talked to students contemplating starting careers or graduate school in Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, Boston, LA, and France.

So I was interested to read an online release about a popular new blog offering advice, 24/7, from professionals far and wide. The blog is called culpwrit and was started by Chicago PR Pro Ron Culp. Students reading my blog might want to check it out. Professionals who know budding professionals might want to as well, and even contribute.

Who knows, there might be some pampered child in New York or DC who wants to experience the world and start their PR career in Grand Rapids. You could help them.

Meanwhile, I just met with a student today to talk about planning our annual agency/PR dept. tours in Chicago next spring. Maybe we'll see if Mr. Culp will entertain us for an hour.

1 comment:

Ron Culp said...

Let me know when you want to visit Chicago. I look forward to meeting you and your students.

www.culpwrit.com