Wednesday, November 05, 2008

West Michigan Papers On Twitter

This web site is an interesting review of newspapers that are on Twitter.

The Grand Rapids Press, Muskegon Chronicle, and Kalamazoo Gazette from West Michigan are on the list.

But the list is not complete. I know that the Holland Sentinel and area business journals, such as MiBiz, have been tweeting for a while as well.

Of interest to me: how many of you West Michigan PR pros are 'following' local media on Twitter? The media outlet and/or specific reporters? Are the key section editors and beat reporters following you and/or your organization or clients?

Post a comment and share your experience.

4 comments:

Derek said...

I follow the GR Press's twitter feed, but not because it provides any value to me (the way the Press' RSS feed works, I don't get the stories periodically - I get them in one big lump all at once). Unfortunately I have to keep an eye on them because they've published incorrect information about my employer that I've had to correct (like announcing classes were canceled when they hadn't been).

The concision forced by a medium like Twitter does not lend itself to accurate reporting in my experience.

Tim Penning, APR said...

Two things.

1. Do YOU Tweet school closings? Get your key publics to follow you. You are the authority, not the Press. (Still have to watch the media, but in time for specific instances like yours, you can be the publisher).

2. Do you use tweetbeep.com? It's like Google alerts for Twitter. Sign up, enter key words (your organization, industry, key managers) and be alerted when anyone on Twitter tweets about the above.

amy :: lynn said...

I follow all of the local news and TV. At the moment, I have a handful of TV personalities, news directors following as well as a key editor from the Press. I attribute the follows to personal relationships I have with these people. Interestingly, they are following my personal and organization accounts.

Tim Penning, APR said...

Good point, Amy Lynn. And that is interesting about both personal and organizational follows. Be careful what you say...:)