Tuesday, February 23, 2010

West Michigan and Social Media

As part of some research I'm doing, I was tracking down organizations that have organizational blogs. I used the West Michigan Business Review list of "Top 100 Companies" as a basis for my search. It's important to note that "companies" included government institutions as well as hospitals, schools and other nonprofits. Also, West Michigan meant having a presence in a 12-county region, but 28 of the 100 were multi-national corporations or other large organizations headquartered elsewhere with an office of plant in the region.

It was interesting to note that only 13 of the 100 had an organizational blog--and I had to search for those with either the on-site search bar or if they didn't have one of those an external search engine. While I was at it, I noted whether or not the organizations' Web sites offered links to some of the more popular social media features, including RSS feeds, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and whether they offered multi-media content, mobile options and apps, or podcasts. (While I didn't record it, a few also had links to LinkedIn, Vimeo, Delicious and other social media sites).

In a nutshell, the largest employers in West Michigan are just getting started with organizational blogs and other social media components, at least so far as they are promoted and linked to their primary Web sites. Here is a breakdown of what I found:

Org type

N

Blog

RSS

FB

Twit

YouT

Mult

Mob

Pod

Bus

55

9

7

11

10

5

1

5

3

Gov

12

1

2

Hosp

8

3

1

1

1

School

16

2

4

5

7

5

3

2

NPO

9

1

1

2

1

1

1

TOTALS

100

13

14

21

18

12

5

8

4


No comments: