My fall 2010 semester sabbatical project was to produce a series of eight videos to show my “Fundamentals of Public Relations” classes. The idea is that, while guest speakers are great, they are standing in front of a white board. It’s also a hassle for them to find parking on campus ☺ By comparison, a series of video interviews, with b-roll footage, is a way to get students inside the offices and environments of PR practitioners.
I selected interview subjects who were recent graduates of the Grand Valley State University Advertising/Public Relations major program or who were seasoned veterans with unique experience in their particular area of the diverse public relations industry. The younger professionals will be interesting to students who can get an idea of where they might be in just a year or two. The veterans provided savvy insights based on years of experience. Collectively the videos are very educational.
The topics for each interview are aligned with a popular textbook in introductory public relations courses: “Public Relations Strategies and Tactics” by Dennis Wilcox and Glen Cameron. An early chapter explains the differences between agency work as opposed to working in-house in a PR department, so I have an video featuring the president and a staff member of an agency. The remaining videos feature practitioners in corporate, nonprofit, international, government, education, sports, and travel.
Originally, I had planned to burn an instructional DVD with each video being chapter. But with a nod to the emerging social media distribution model, I posted each video to this blog as they were finished. They are also all on my YouTube channel. But I thought I would post the master list with direct links here for anyone who’s interested to view and share:
• Agency PR. Featuring Jeff Lambert and Jeremy Bakkan, APR, of Lambert, Edwards, and Associates. PRWeek Small Agency of the Year 2010.
• Corporate PR. Featuring Sarah Heins at Shape Corporation.
• Nonprofit PR. Featuring Keri Kujala at St. Mary’s Hospital and its Doran Foundation.
• Government PR. Featuring Kevan Chapman of (former) US Representative Vern Ehler’s office.
• International PR. Featuring several staff members of Amway Global.
• Education PR. Featuring Ron Koehler, APR, of the Kent Intermediate School District and current president of the National Schools Public Relations Association.
• Sports PR. Featuring Randy Rice of the Grand Rapids Griffins hockey team.
• Travel PR. Featuring Janet Korn of Experience Grand Rapids.