Monday, November 24, 2014

The Influence of Ads on Investors

In the context of a law class discussion of the SEC, I was talking to my students about ads and investors. My own research shows that investors look not only at finance tables and "dry" SEC documents, but all manner of PR and advertising tactics when making investing decisions.

That point came up later today when after class I caught up on reading the daily industry trades and blogs. A review of a Dick's Sporting Goods ad in Adweek caught my eye for different reasons.

(Disclosure: I do own stock in Dick's and do not have a daughter).

The review talked about the dads and daughters connection, and making sporting goods seem ingrained in family history. But I was thinking about the class discussion and how as an investor in Dick's this ad was relevant to me for several reasons.

For one, as an investor, I am hoping the ad does well for the company. I am an investor after all. I'd like to see the ad lead to good sales which in turn boosts the stock price.

I also like the ad for the image quality. It makes Dick's look like a relevant and caring company. (Some might argue it is just another company exploiting a religious holiday, but we'll save that debate for another post).

The point is, even when ads push product, they affect more than consumers and purchase intent. They affect other publics, company reputation, and ongoing investor relations efforts too.

I think Dick's scored.

No comments: